Vote on UNHRC resolution on Sri Lanka to be taken today
The vote on the US-sponsored United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) resolution on Sri Lanka will be held today (March 21) in Geneva.
The final draft resolution was tabled by the US on Sri Lanka at the UNHRC sessions on March 19.
47 member states are eligible to vote on the resolution which will take place during the morning sessions today.
Several member states including Sri Lanka, US, UK and China as well as several NGOs shared their views on the situation in Sri Lanka and the resolution yesterday.
Addressing the 22nd Session of the UNHRC, Minister Mahinda Samarasinghe stated that the Report of the High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay on Sri Lanka has gone beyond the mandate granted under resolution 19/2 which limited her role to reporting on the provision of technical assistance. (Courtesy: Ada Derana)
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023