We should strengthen our country’s borders: PM
We should strengthen our country’s borders, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremasinghe said.
“Once our country became independent, we decided to control our borders and did so,” the Prime Minister said, expounding on the significance of balancing human, legal and political issues.
He said “ The war has ended and we decided to take back the migrants who were given temporary refugee status abroad, by fulfilling our obligations in keeping with the United Nations Human Rights Resolution of 2009”
“We can achieve economic development, if we are able to reduce the number of Sri Lankans seeking greener pastures in the West, ”Prime Minister Wickremesinghe said.
The Premier further said that “Migration is in fact tied up with politics.”
He also said that “Jaffna has received twice the number of benefits and incentives allocated to the country from the present budget”
The Prime Minister said that President Mathripala Sirisena is playing an integral role in national reconciliation”
“Terrorism is one of the major global problems and we should seriously focus our attention on securing our borders to stem people smuggling which is a big business,” the Prime Minister said.
(Source: Daily News – By SAJNI DE SILVA)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Official Creditor Committee confirms debt treatment deal with Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023