Will consult Supreme Court on Presidential Candidacy – Mahinda
Posted in Local News
Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa says that SLPP will be inquiring with the Supreme Court whether, under the 19th Constitutional Amendment, a person who had previously held the post of President twice, could run at a Presidential election again.
He made this statement responding to media questions following an event held in Piliyandala, today (18).
This event was held to open the ‘Suwasetha Hela Osu Hala’ at Makandana, Piliyandala.
He also commented on the Criminal Investigation Department’s recording of statement from him on the abduction of the Journalist Keith Noyahr.
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023
- Dasun Shanaka hasn’t lived up to even 1% of expectations in IPL – Virender Sehwag May 26, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 26, 2023
If the UNP has any guts, it should nominate Jaffna MP, Hon Vijayakala Maheswaran as the Presidential Candidate.
She has the capacity to rout the R Family because she follows in the footsteps of the Late Sirmavo and ex-President CBK whose husbands were bumped off by reactionary forces just similar to Hon Vijayakala and harassed by losing politicians (eg: JRJ vs Sirimavo).
Women find their strength amidst disaster; example: Late Sirmavo and CBK.
Vijayakala has the potential to attract mass support all over the country.
No one other than the sitting President can seek advice from the SC regarding this issue.
The SC will reject requests from all others regarding this issue.