Woman arrested over Rs. 6 billion drug money circulated in bank accounts
A 41-year-old woman has been arrested for operating five bank accounts and allegedly involved in drug trafficking.
According to Senior DIG Ajith Rohana, the 41-year-old from Dehiwala area was taken into custody under the provisions of Prevention of Money Laundering Act.
The Police Media Spokesman further stated that she has been arrested by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) based on a tip-off given by the Financial Intelligence Unit of the Central Bank and discovered Rs. 6 billion funds in her accounts.
Investigations have disclosed that drug traffickers, peddlers and drug addicts have deposited the money in favour of those accounts.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka aims to streamline tax structure, boost collections October 4, 2023
- Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China October 4, 2023
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023