Xi offers condolences over Sri Lanka floods, landslides
Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday sent a message of condolences to his Sri Lankan counterpart Maithripala Sirisena over the devastating floods and landslides that hit the country last week.
In the message, Xi mourned the dead and extended condolences to those affected.
Xi said that the Chinese government fully supports Sri Lanka”s disaster relief efforts, pledging assistance and support within China”s capacity to help with the relief and post-disaster recovery of Sri Lanka in accordance with its requirements.
The Chinese president voiced his belief that the Sri Lankan government and people will overcome the natural disasters and rebuild their homes as soon as possible.
As of Thursday, at least 102 Sri Lankan people have been killed and over 200,000 fled their homes due to the floods and landslides last week. Around 30,000 houses have been completely destroyed.
Although the floodwater in most places is now subsiding, some parts of the Gampaha and Colombo districts are still submerged and landslide warnings remain in rural areas. –Agencies
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023