The CID in its investigations have determined that when the police said that they had opened fire to save Senior DIG Ravi Wijegunawardena, who was being attacked allegedly by FTZ workers on May 30, the DIG was in fact in hospital.
The police fire occurred after DIG Wijegunawardena had been admitted to the Negombo Hospital which proves that their earlier claims, that the police fired to ‘save’ the Senior DIG’s life from attacks by angry workers was false.
According to information received, the CID has reason to believe that the police had deliberately opened fire on the protesters.
The investigations have also revealed that police had broken open doors of FTZ factories, before firing in every possible direction although many protesters had dispersed by then.
According to highly placed police sources, the investigations launched by the CID into the recent clashes between the FTZ employees and the Katunayaka police, and which claimed the life of a FTZ youth (Roshen Chanaka) have been completed.
They say, the CID is now in the final stages of compiling its report, and is expected to hand in the same to the new IGP who is to be sworn in by the president next week on his return to the country from an official tour of Russia.
The CID, as part of its inquiry, has already obtained statements from over 200 persons including FTZ workers and police officers. Once the final report is compiled the CID is expected to take action based on its contents, these sources said.
It is also reliably understood that the CID is in possession of a list of names of a particular group of policemen that had carried out the attack on the FTZ workers.
Source: Lakbima News