The highest number of fatal traffic accidents reported to the Police Headquarters within the course of 24 hours was recorded between 6.00 am yesterday (28) and 6.00 am today, according to police media spokesman SP Ajith Rohana.
A total of 15 fatal accidents, with 17 casualties, had occurred within that time period bringing the total number of fatal accidents recorded this year to 156. The individual fatal accidents are as follows:
1. 68-year-old motorcyclist killed in collision with lorry in Ruwanwella police area.
2. 62-year-old female passenger dies after car runs off road in Ragama police area.
3. 62-year-old pedestrian hit by three-wheeler in Wattala police area.
4. Pedestrian – age unknown- hit by a van in Mirigama police area.
5. 41-year-old pedestrian hit by a van in Mirigama police area.
6. 52-year-old pedestrian hit by a bus in Negombo police area.
7. Motorcyclist killed in collision with lorry in Kochchikade police area.
8. 16-year-old and 17-year-old motorcyclists killed after collision between two motorbikes in Eppawala.
9. 19-year-old pedestrian hit by a lorry in Kuliyapitiya police area.
10. 63-year-old killed after motorcycle runs off the road in Kurunegala police area.
11. 79-year-old pedestrian hit by a van in Akuressa police area.
12. 70-year-old pedestrian hit by a bus in Matara police area.
13. 27-year-old motorcyclist killed in collision with lorry in Ahungalla police area.
14. Tractor topples killing 47-year-old driver in Mahiyangana police area.
15. Two pedestrian killed and motorcyclist injured after car hits two pedestrians and a motorbike in Payagala police area.
Courtesy: Ada Derana