38 Indian fishermen on fast unto death in Lanka jail
Posted in Local News
At least 38 Indian fishermen lodged in Sri Lanka’s Jaffna prison for alleged poaching are on a fast unto death demanding their early release.
The Indian consulate office in Jaffna has alerted the Indian High Commission officials here after the Indian prisoners began their protest in the jail, prison officials said today.
The fishermen were arrested for poaching in Sri Lankan waters.
Last month, Sri Lanka released five Indian fishermen, who had been sentenced to death on drug trafficking charges, after a presidential pardon from Mahinda Rajapaksa, PTI reports.
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s official reserve assets increase by 26.2% in May June 7, 2023