38 Indian fishermen on fast unto death in Lanka jail
At least 38 Indian fishermen lodged in Sri Lanka’s Jaffna prison for alleged poaching are on a fast unto death demanding their early release.
The Indian consulate office in Jaffna has alerted the Indian High Commission officials here after the Indian prisoners began their protest in the jail, prison officials said today.
The fishermen were arrested for poaching in Sri Lankan waters.
Last month, Sri Lanka released five Indian fishermen, who had been sentenced to death on drug trafficking charges, after a presidential pardon from Mahinda Rajapaksa, PTI reports.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023