42 arrested for staging protest outside Presidential Secretariat
The police have arrested 42 individuals including 16 women over unruly behaviour and violating quarantine regulations during a protest staged in front of the Presidential Secretariat today (August 04).
Police Spokesman Senior DIG Ajith Rohana stated that statements are being recorded from the arrestees.
Police Spokesman said that the protesters would be produced in court under provisions of the Quarantine & Prevention of Diseases Ordinance, the Penal Code and the National Thoroughfares Act.
The protest march was being orchestrated by teachers and principals over several demands.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023