AG Jayantha Jayasuriya approved as new Chief Justice
The Constitutional Council (CC) has unanimously approved the nomination of Attorney General Jayantha Jayasuriya as the next Chief Justice, parliamentary sources said.
Meanwhile the council has also approved the President’s nomination for the position of Auditor General.
Accordingly the name of Attorney General Jayantha Chandrasiri Jayasuriya was approved for the position of Chief Justice while the name of Additional Auditor General Chulantha Wickramaratne was unanimously approved for the post of Auditor General of Sri Lanka.
The statement said that the President was notified of nominations being approved by the CC.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023