Allegations of white van abductions: CID informs court probe underway
Special Investigative Division of the CID yesterday informed Colombo Chief Magistrate, Lanka Jayaratne that it was investigating the allegations made by Anthony Douglas Fernando and Athula Sanjeewa Madanayake at a press conference organized by former Health Minister, Rajitha Senaratne on November 10.
During the press conference, the duo claimed they had been aware of of assassinations, abductions, disappearances, robberies and transport of the 7000 tonnes of gold seized from the LTTE during the Mahinda Rajapaksa administration. The CID said that it was a criminal offence not to inform the police of criminal activities, under Article 102, 113 and 119 of the Penal Code.
The CID said it needed video footage from TV channels that were present at the press briefing.
Jayaratne ordered several media institutions to hand over the unedited footage of the press conference to the CID. Investigations commenced after a complaint was lodged by an individual named Kumudu Pradeep Sanjeewa. During the press conference, a person alleged that he had driven white van used to transport suspects who were killed and fed to crocodiles in a wewa in Moneragala.
(Source: The Island – By A.J.A Abeynayaka and Kashuni Rebecca)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka approves Sinopec’s $4.5 billion refinery proposal November 28, 2023
- Tamil Nadu government failed to understand the problem in Sri Lanka: Murali November 27, 2023