Another letter from Speaker to President
Speaker of House Karu Jayasuriya has informed President Maithripala Sirisena that a No-Confidence Motion was passed against Mahinda Rajapaksa in Parliament today.
Speaker’s office said in a letter to the President, Speaker Jayasuriya had detailed the incidents that occurred in Parliament.
A document containing signatures of 122 Members of Parliament has also been sent to the President.
A No-Confidence Motion against Mahinda Rajapaksa and his government was passed in Parliament today.
Patali Champika Ranawaka speaking to NewsRadio said the motion was passed with a majority during this afternoon’s parliamentary session. He said Parliamentarian MA Sumanthiran proposed to suspend standing orders in the house.
He said subsequently the motion was passed with a majority. Meanwhile, the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna has attributed today’s unrest in Parliament to the recent conduct of the Speaker.
In a statement the SLPP said, Speaker Karu Jayasuriya also continues to act in favour of the United National Party.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- IMF Team to conduct second review of Sri Lanka’s EFF program in March 2024 February 28, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s education ministry halts outdoor school activities due to heat February 28, 2024
- Santhan, released convict in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, dies due to illness February 28, 2024
- Suspect wanted over Mahabage shooting killed in clash with STF February 28, 2024
- Ronnie de Mel passes away February 27, 2024