Around 600 inmates escape Kandakadu Treatment and Rehabilitation Centre
An inmate at the Kandakadu Treatment and Rehabilitation Centre in Polonnaruwa died after a brawl between two groups last night (June 28).
Victim identified as a 36-year-old inmate, a resident from Mutuwal.
Sri Lanka Police said that around 600 inmates of the Kandakadu Treatment and Rehabilitation Centre at Welikanda have escaped during the tense situation due to the death of the inmate last night (June 28).
Police and the Army have taken steps to bring the situation under control.
The spokesman said the remaining inmates of the Centre were staging a protest and were not allowing the police or the security forces to enter the Centre.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023