Australia coach out with COVID for start of Sri Lanka tour
New head coach Andrew McDonald will miss the start of Australia’s cricket tour to Sri Lanka after testing positive for COVID-19.
McDonald had the job on an interim basis for a tour of Pakistan in March but this will be his first series since being appointed full-time to the role.
McDonald will remain in isolation for seven days while Australia’s players prepare for the limited-overs section of the tour which starts with a Twenty20 international in Colombo next Tuesday.
The tour, featuring three T20s, five one-day internationals and two test matches, is going ahead despite political and economic turmoil in Sri Lanka.
Cricket Australia on Wednesday said assistant coach Michael Di Venuto will manage the T20 squad before McDonald arrives in Sri Lanka following his isolation in Melbourne.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023