Australia emphasizes tough stance on people smuggling
Australian Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton is warning human smugglers and people seeking to enter Australia by boat not to do so, emphasizing that the government continues to enforce the country’s tough border protection policy.
Dutton is on a two-day visit to Sri Lanka and holding talks with his counterparts and other officials on measures aimed at deterring human smuggling.
His visit comes a week after Australia sent back 20 Sri Lankans who tried to enter Australia by boat and after Sri Lanka’s navy separately arrested another 41 in a boat heading to Australia.
Dutton noted Tuesday: “We have just seen an uptick in activity in the last month.
He warned smugglers that Australia will not allow them to “get back to business.”
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023