Basil, GL meet Chairman of Commonwealth Business Council
Economic Development Minister Basil Rajapaksa met Dr.Mohan Kaul, Chairman of the Commonwealth Business Council (CBC) at the Ministry on Wednesday (10).
The delegation is in Sri Lanka on a seven day visit to discuss preparatory arrangements for the CBF to be held with the overarching theme ‘Partnering for wealth creation and social development: the Commonwealth, Indian Ocean and SAARC’ in Colombo on the sidelines of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in November 2013. The launch for the Commonwealth Business Forum 2013 will be held under President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s patronage.
Commonwealth Business Council Chairman Dr Mohan Kaul also met the External Affairs Minister and at this occasion Minister Peiris said the participation of the two groups of interlocutors from the government and Trade Chambers would ensure a vibrant and successful event. He encouraged the active participation of the National Chamber of Commerce, the Federation of the Chambers of Commerce and Industry of Sri Lanka, the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce and the private sector at the Business Forum.
The minister was also of the view that non-Commonwealth countries, especially in the Indian Ocean region, should be invited for this Forum as it would be beneficial to all participants.
Minister Peiris observing that the thematic context of the Business Forum should have a direct bearing and relevance to Sri Lanka as the country emerges from the shadow of the terrorist conflict, encouraged a specific emphasis on the youth, particularly in rural areas.
He said that the educated and highly skilled Sri Lankan workforce was already a source of pride and enabling the youth to obtain the maximum benefit from such opportunities afforded by local and foreign investment and international business events, would further strengthen the reservoir of human resources in the country.
Source: Government News Portal
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023