Basil Rajapaksa, acquitted & released from another misappropriation case
Finance Minister Basil Rajapaksa was acquitted and released on Monday (28) from a case filed with Kaduwela Magistrate’s Court on charges of misappropriation of ‘Divineguma’ public funds.
The then minister of Economic Development had been accused of paying compensation and gratuity to Samurdhi recipients from the funds of the Divineguma community-based bank of the Divineguma Department.
It had been alleged that several financial irregularities had taken place in the implementation of the compensation and gratuity project of the Divineguma Development Department, which was under the purview of the Economic Development Ministry.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023