Basil Rajapaksa turns back after trying to leave country
Former Sri Lankan Minister Basil Rajapaksa arrived at the Bandaranaike International Airport early this morning (July 12) to leave the country.
However, his attempt to leave the country impeded after he was met with a strong protest at the airport.
Meanwhile, the Immigration & Emigration Department’s officers attached to the Silk Route Departure, which provides dedicated services to the VIPs at the airport, have withdrawn from their duties from midnight yesterday.
The Sri Lanka Immigration and Emigration Officers’ Association President K.A.A.S. Kanugala said the decision was made considering the current unstable and crisis situation in the country and the strong possibility of a large number of accused former political VIPs using this Silk Route Clearance Terminal to leave the country.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023