Basil released on bail
Former Minister Basil Rajapaksa, who was arrested by the FCID this morning, has been released on bail after being produced at the Matara Magistrate’s Court.
He was ordered released on a cash bail of Rs 50,000 and three personal bails of Rs 1 million each.
Matara Magistrate Yuresha de Silva also ordered the former Minister of Economic Development to appear before the FCID on every Sunday.
The Financial Crimes Investigation Division (FCID) arrested Basil Rajapaksa today after he arrived to give a statement regarding a land issue in Matara.
Basil Rajapaksa was previously arrested by the FCID in April last year on alleged financial misappropriations in the Divi Neguma Department.
Former Economic Development Ministry Secretary Dr. Nihal Jayatilaka and former Director General of the Divineguma Department, R.R.K. Ranawaka, were also arrested along with minister on the same charge.
They were released on bail on June 15, 2015 while the case is still pending in the Kaduwela Magistrate’s Court.
(Source: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka aims to streamline tax structure, boost collections October 4, 2023
- Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China October 4, 2023
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023