BIRMINGHAM BUDDHIST MAHA VIHARA COMMEMORATES THE 2600TH SAMBUDDHATTVA JAYANTHI
Onlanka News – Report and photos by Thakshila Udage
(Submitted by Janaka Alahapperuma)
The Midlands International Buddhist Association in the U.K. known as the Birmingham Buddhist Maha Vihara celebrated 2600th Sambuddattva Jayanthi at its headquarters. The participants included different Buddhist nationalities such as Sri Lankans, Indians, Nepalese, Bangladeshis, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Tibetans as well as European Buddhists.
The day’s program started at 7.00 a.m. with observing of eight precepts until 6.00 p.m. The whole day program was conducted by resident monks headed by Ven Dr Witharandeniye Kassapa Nayaka thera (OBE), Chief Incumbent of the Birmingham Buddhist Maha Vihara and the President of the Midlands International Buddhist Association in the UK.
The program included Dhana, Seela and Bhavana as well as devotional songs sung by a group of nurses from Nottingham headed by Mr.Gihan Perera and Ms.Chamindri Mendis.
Local MPs, Councilors, community leaders and large number of devotees were present through out the day
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President slams western media, says no to international probe October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Bondholder Lawsuit Should Be Put on Hold, U.S. Says October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch new vehicle revenue license system (eRL 2.0) on October 7 October 3, 2023
- World’s leading tech companies deeply criticize Sri Lanka’s Online Safety Bill October 2, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government says No more emergency purchases of medicines October 2, 2023