BIRMINGHAM BUDDHIST MAHA VIHARA HELD ITS ANNUAL KATHINA CEREMONY-2011
Onlanka News – Report and photos by Thakshila Udage
(Submitted by Janaka Alahapperuma)
The Midlands International Buddhist Association in the U.K. known as the Birmingham Buddhist Maha Vihara held its annual Kathina ceremony at its headquarters. Many monks from different Viharas in U.K. as well as from Europe participated.
The day’s program started on Saturday the 22nd at 6.00 p.m. with paying respect to previous 28 Buddhas. The ceremony conducted Ven.Rathmale Punnaratana Nayake Thera, Mahopadyaya of Pali & Buddhist University of Frankfurt branch – Germany.
The participants included different Buddhist nationalities such as English, Sri Lankans, Indians, Nepalese, Bangladeshis, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Tibetans as well as European Buddhists. At 8.00 p.m. all night Paritta chanting ceremony started with 14 monks followed by morning Dana offered by Dr.Jinadasa & Dr.Mrs.Indira Ekanayake along with their son Dr.Jinendra Ekanayake.
This year’s main sponsors of Kathina Dana were Mr & Mrs.Jayarathne from Sri Lanka along with their daughter Dr.Mrs.Chaturani de Silva and her husband Mr.Nimeka de Silva and his parents Dr Yasapriya and Mrs.Tilaka de Silva and all dayakas who belong to Vihara.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023