Bus fare increased again by 4%
Posted in Local News
Minister of Transport Nimal Siripala de Silva says that bus fares will be increased by 4% with effect from midnight tomorrow (20).
However, it said the minimum bus fare of Rs. 12 would not be changed.
The minister announced this decision following a discussion held with representatives of private bus trade unions at the Ministry of Transport today (19).
Earlier, the private bus unions demanded a 10 per cent fare increase considering the fuel price hike.
When the fares were increased in May 2018, the Cabinet approved the demand on the condition that there would be no fare increases for the next two years.
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023