Bus fares up by 7% from today
Bus fares of both the private and State services will go up by 7% with effect from today, the National Transport Commission (NTC), said.
However, the minimum bus fare, which is Rs 9 at present, will not be increased. Following numerous demands of bus owners, that also included two countrywide bus strikes, the Ministry of Private Transport Services announced an increase in fares by 7% on 12 October.However, bus owners question the authority of the NTC to revise bus fares, and intend filing a petition in the Court of Appeal.
Meanwhile, the bus fares of the Southern Expressway will also be increased to Rs 500 from Rs 470, which was the amount charged for the use of the entire stretch of the expressway.
(Courtesy: Ceylon Today Online)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023