Chaminda Wijesiri attempts to assault Nimal Lanza, removed from Parliament chamber
Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) Parliamentarian Chaminda Wijesiri has been removed from the Parliament chamber after he attempted to assault Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) MP Nimal Lanza during this morning’s (November 23) Parliament sitting.
Speaker of Parliament Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena has asked the MP Chaminda Wijesiri to leave the chamber.
SJB MP Wijesiri walked up to fellow MP Nimal Lanza and attempted to assault MP Lanza while he was addressing the house.
Accordingly, the Speaker announced that MP Chaminda Wijesiri will not be allowed to attend today’s sitting.
Taking issue with the conduct of MP Wijesiri, other parliamentarians including Minister Susil Premajayantha urged the Speaker to conduct a disciplinary inquiry into the matter.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka approves Sinopec’s $4.5 billion refinery proposal November 28, 2023
- Tamil Nadu government failed to understand the problem in Sri Lanka: Murali November 27, 2023