China to continue supporting Sri Lanka’s independence
BEIJING, March 1 (Xinhua) — Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister Liang Guanglie said here on Thursday that China will continue to support Sri Lanka’s efforts in safeguarding state independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity and realizing social and economic development.
Liang made the remarks when meeting with Gotabaya Rajapaksa, Secretary of the Ministry of Defense and Urban Development of Sri Lanka.
Liang expressed thanks for Sri Lanka’s solid support on China’s core interests.
Liang said the Chinese side hopes to work together with Sri Lanka to consolidate the friendship, deepen mutually beneficial cooperation and improve communication and cooperation between the two armies.
Liang acknowledged that China-Sri Lanka friendship has a long history and was deeply rooted among people. The two countries have similar historical situations and wide common interests.
“The two countries’ relations have witnessed smooth development and we have made remarkable achievements since we entered diplomatic relations 55 years ago,” Liang said.
Gotabaya said China-Sri Lanka ties have kept a healthy and smooth development. He expressed thanks for China’s support in the process of Sri Lanka ending civil war and pushing reconstruction and development.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023