CID allowed to detain Wele Suda till March 23
The Colombo High Court today granted permission to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) to interrogate notorious drug baron Samantha Kumara alias ‘Wele Suda’ under detention orders till March 23.
Samantha Kumara, who was arrested in Pakistan and brought to Sri Lanka on January 14, was produced before the court this morning along with his wife and a cousin.
In total 58 charges have been filed against the drug kingpin including for violating the cash disbursements act and with regard to investing money earned from drug trafficking.
Justice Devika Tennakoon granted permission to the CID to detain and interrogate the suspect until March 23.
Meanwhile the CID has decided to seek Interpol assistance to apprehend several foreign nationals who were involved in large scale drug trafficking with Wele Suda.
Red Notice are to be issued for the arrest of a British national and two Pakistani nationals, believed to be Wele Suda’s accomplices.
On Monday (16), the Police Anti Narcotic Bureau detected 26 tractors allegedly used by Wele Suda to smuggle heroin into the country from Pakistan.
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s key inflation rate eases to 25.2% in May June 1, 2023
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023