CID arrests Udayanga Weeratunga over MiG deal
Former Sri Lanka Ambassador to Russia Udayanga Weeratunga from whom a statement was obtained by the Criminal Investigation Department subsequent to his return to Sri Lanka has been taken into custody this morning.
He arrived at the BIA at 4.37 am from Muscat International Airport.
Later he was questioned by the CID officers in connection with the financial fraud alleged to have taken place in procuring seven MiG-27 ground attack craft for the Sri Lanka Air Force (SLAF).
He is to be produced before the Fort Magistrate Court today.
UPDATE – 07:00 PM : Former Sri Lankan Ambassador to Russia Udayanga Weeratunga has been remanded until February 17 by the Fort Magistrate.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- IMF Team to conduct second review of Sri Lanka’s EFF program in March 2024 February 28, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s education ministry halts outdoor school activities due to heat February 28, 2024
- Santhan, released convict in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, dies due to illness February 28, 2024
- Suspect wanted over Mahabage shooting killed in clash with STF February 28, 2024
- Ronnie de Mel passes away February 27, 2024