CID arrests Udayanga Weeratunga over MiG deal
Posted in Local News
Former Sri Lanka Ambassador to Russia Udayanga Weeratunga from whom a statement was obtained by the Criminal Investigation Department subsequent to his return to Sri Lanka has been taken into custody this morning.
He arrived at the BIA at 4.37 am from Muscat International Airport.
Later he was questioned by the CID officers in connection with the financial fraud alleged to have taken place in procuring seven MiG-27 ground attack craft for the Sri Lanka Air Force (SLAF).
He is to be produced before the Fort Magistrate Court today.
UPDATE – 07:00 PM : Former Sri Lankan Ambassador to Russia Udayanga Weeratunga has been remanded until February 17 by the Fort Magistrate.
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023