CID to probe Sharia law executions
The Criminal Investigation Department is set to launch probes into the revelations made by Venerable Medagoda Abayatissa Thero over 20 persons being allegedly killed under the Sharia law, police said.
This follows an order issued by Acting IGP Chandana Wickremaratna to the head of the CID, Senior DIG Ravi Seneviratna.
Ven. Abayathissa Thera is reported to have made the revelation while taking part in an anti-Wahhabism rally on 4 July at Nugegoda.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka reports 80,222 dengue cases with 47 deaths December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka Parliament decides to debate VAT (amendment) Bill today December 11, 2023
- ‘Unfair, Really Surprised’: Anjum Chopra on Chamari Athapaththu going unsold at WPL Auction December 11, 2023
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023