Cocaine worth Rs.45 m seized
A haul of cocaine worth Rs 45 million was seized at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) by Customs officials from a Filipino national who came from Brazil yesterday morning.
The drug smuggler travelling from Sao Paolo, Brazil to Thailand via Doha, Qatar on flight QR 300 disembarked at the BIA as a transit passenger around 8.30 am yesterday. Customs officials arrested him on suspicion and found three kilos of cocaine in his hand luggage.
Deputy Custom Superintendent of the Customs Special Investigation Unit Vipula Fernando said that the detection was one of the biggest hauls of cocaine made in recent times.
The suspect was handed to the BOI Police Narcotic Bureau for further investigations. Assitant Customs Superintendents, Nandana Jayathilaka, Y S Kahatagahawatte, Customs Narcotic Control Unit superintendent Nihal Alahapperuma and Deputy Customs superintendent D D S C Micheal were involved in the arrest.
Courtesy: Daily News
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023