Couple die on Southern Expressway accident
A couple died when the van they were travelling, plunged from a bridge close to the Baddegama interchange on the Southern Expressway yesterday morning. The victims were identified as Piyasena Rubasinghe, 77, elder brother of former Information Director and President’s Media Coordinator Ariya Rubasinghe and his wife Chandra, 60.
This is the first twin fatality reported on the Southern Expressway. The victims were residents of Weeraketiya. The ill-fated vehicle had bounced off the Expressway at the 81.9 kilometre spot with no protective fence and fallen down the precipice on the Badegama- Wanduramba main road off the Expressway.
Villagers who rushed to the scene to evacuate the victims, noticed that Rubasinghe had died on the spot. The body was sent to Baddegama Hospital while the injured were admitted to Karapitiya Teaching Hospital.
Chandra Rubasinghe died at the hospital. Rubasisnghe’s son and the driver of the vehicle are receiving treatment at the Karapitiya Teaching Hospital.
The vehicle was heading for Galle from Colombo. Baddegama Police found Rs 350, 000 inside the vehicle which was been handed over to the victims’ relatives. Baddegama Police are investigating.
(Courtesy: Daily News)
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023