CPI (M) seeks talks with Sri Lanka
Expressing deep concern over the continuing arrests and detention in Sri Lanka of fishermen from Tamil Nadu, the Communist Party of India (Marxist) has asked the Centre to intervene to secure the release of these fishermen.
In a statement issued here on Wednesday, the Polit Bureau said that at present there were 210 fishermen and their 70 boats in Sri Lankan custody. The Centre should immediately intervene to secure the release of the fishermen. It said the problems faced by the fishermen of both countries and the crossing of maritime boundaries have to be discussed and settled. This requires talks between representatives of fishermen of both countries and the two governments, it said.
(Source: The Hindu)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Customs seizes Drugs worth over Rs. 60 Million December 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- Three Sri Lankans, including Ranish Hewage serving in the Ukraine Army killed in Russian attack December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023