Customs seize 10,770,000 duty-unpaid cigarettes
Posted in Local News
Over 10,770,000 sticks of illegally imported counterfeit cigarettes have been seized by the Sri Lanka Customs, this morning (18).
The approximate street value of the cigarette haul is over Rs. 355 million, according to Customs Media Spokesperson, Leslie Gamini.
“A container has been seized and examined by the staff of Customs Post Clearance and Audit Division today at Grayline 11 yard at Grandpass, declared as chest Freezers, imported from Dubai by vessel ‘ MSC Asya’.
The importer is said to be from Nugegoda. On the examination, it was found 10,770,000 sticks of counterfeit cigarettes, valued at Rs. 355 Million. The evaded payment is Rs. 300 Million,” Leslie Gamini said.
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023