Death penalty a red herring: JO
The Joint Opposition (JO) yesterday said the Government would never implement the death penalty and that the topic had been introduced to divert the attention of the public from pressing issues.
JO MP Mahinda Yapa Abeywardane said the Government had no strength to implement the death penalty.
“This Government waver to the demands of the international forces. It would never implement the capital punishment. This is yet another topic put forward by the Government to hide pressing issues- such as the Central Bank Bond Scam -under the carpet,” he said.
He said drug smuggling in the country was being done with State patronage in some instances, as heroin had been found concealed in bags which bear the name Sathosa.
“Killing drug smugglers, who are convicted is not the answer. This is an extensive network, which involves Government bigwigs. The Government is not capable of eradicating this menace,” he said.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Lahiru Pothmulla)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023