Death threats again on Sri Lanka’s Election Commission members
Sri Lanka’s Election Commission member M.M. Mohammed received death threats over the phone last night (January 27) forcing him to resign from his post.
According to sources, Election Commission member S.B. Divaratna who received death threats earlier had received death threats once again yesterday (January 27) through Whatsapp.
Earlier, the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) had started investigations after Commission members K.P.P. Pathirana and S.B. Divaratna received death threats demanding their resignation from the Commission.
Accordingly, armed police officers have been deployed to provide security to the residences of those two members.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023