Drug dealer ‘Ketawalapitiye Sampath’ shot dead by police
A drug dealer, Ketawalapitiye Sampath, has been shot dead by police during a shootout at Gampaha, the Police Media Spokesman Jaliya Senaratne said.
Police Media Spokesman said the exchange of gunfire had occurred when a group of Police personnel had attempted to arrest the suspect in Malwathu Hiripitiya in Gampaha at around 5.30am today.
The suspect, who is a close associate of the gangster alias ‘Ganemulla Sanjeewa’, had worked as a gunman for criminal gangs.
It was also revealed that he was convicted of shooting a 35-year-old woman to death in Ranmuthugama area in Kadawatha on August 28, 2018.
The foreign-manufactured revolver used by the deceased to open fire at the police officers has been seized.
Colombo-North Crimes Division and Malwathu Hiripitiya Police are probing the incident further.
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023