Duminda Silva gets Presidential pardon
Duminda Silva was set free from the Welikada Prison today after he received a presidential pardon from President Gotabaya Rajapaksa.
Prison’s Spokesperson Chandana Ekanayake confirmed that Silva was released from the Welikada Prison a short while ago.
Former parliamentarian Duminda Silva was jailed in September 2016 after the Colombo High Court found him and several others guilty in the murder of former MP Bharatha Lakshman Premachandra.
93 prisoners were released on special Presidential Pardon in lieu of Poson Poya commemorated today.
The Department of Prisons said 16 former LTTE cadres detained arbitrarily and 77 individuals imprisoned on minor offences were among the group that was released.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023