Dy. Minister Gunasekera to be charged today
The Police will file a plaint today against Deputy Minister of Internal Trade and Cooperatives, Hemal Gunasekera for using a vehicle with a false number plate.
The politician was stopped by the police on the Southern Highway on May 20 while travelling in that vehicle.
Police constable Suminda Saman, who stopped the deputy minister’s vehicle has complained to the police that he was attacked and his car burnt by a gang a few days later.
PC Suminda has recently tendered his resignation to the Police Department, claiming that he had no faith in the police investigations into the incident and his life was in danger.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Department of Examinations announced dates of Scholarship Exam, O/L, A/L March 1, 2024
- Central Bank officials summoned to party leaders’ meeting over salary hike March 1, 2024
- Sri Lanka halts free visas for long-staying Russian, Ukrainian nationals March 1, 2024
- UNFPA to assist Sri Lanka in modernizing statistical system for transition to digital economy March 1, 2024
- Sri Lanka to introduce National Cyber Security Act, establish Cyber Security Authority March 1, 2024