England to avoid handshakes in Sri Lanka due to coronavirus
Joe Root has revealed England will fist bump rather shake hands during their tour of Sri Lanka due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Illness swept through the England camp during a successful recent tour of South Africa.
Captain Root says they will be taking no chances in Sri Lanka, where they start a two-match Test series in Galle on March 19.
Speaking before England boarded the plane for their latest tour, the batsman said: “After South Africa we are well aware of the importance of keeping contact to a minimum and we’ve been given some really sound and sensible advice from our medical team to help prevent spreading germs and bacteria.
“We are not shaking hands with each other – using instead the well-established fist bump – and we are washing hands regularly and wiping down surfaces using the antibacterial wipes and gels we’ve been given in our immunity packs.
“There is no suggestion that the tour will be affected.
“But of course, it is an evolving situation, so we are in regular contact with the authorities and will proceed as advised.”
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023
We will clasp both hands and say “Aryubowan”.