Final vote on Budget 2019 today: SLFP factions undecided
No final decision was taken on the ‘Budget 2019’ vote during the UPFA group meeting presided by President Maithripala Sirisena and Opposition Leader Mahinda Rajapaksa at the Parliamentary complex yesterday.
UPFA MP Dayasiri Jayasekara told the media after the meeting that the SLFP group headed by President Sirisena would meet separately today to take a decision. He said they would meet the SLPP after their decision.
UPFA MP Mahindananda Aluthgamage said that the SLPP should vote against the Budget and the President during the Opposition Group meeting had stressed the need to build a broad coalition soon after the May Day rally in preparation for the next presidential election. He said Opposition Leader Rajapaksa was also of the same opinion.
(Source: The Island – By Saman Indrajith)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- IMF Team to conduct second review of Sri Lanka’s EFF program in March 2024 February 28, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s education ministry halts outdoor school activities due to heat February 28, 2024
- Santhan, released convict in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, dies due to illness February 28, 2024
- Suspect wanted over Mahabage shooting killed in clash with STF February 28, 2024
- Ronnie de Mel passes away February 27, 2024