Five more Government MP’s to back Maithripala?
At least five more government MP’s are expected to defect to the Joint Opposition Front (JOF) this week, informed sources said yesterday.
They are among the initial group of 23 UPFA MP’s, some of whom are Ministers, who were due to cross over with former Health Minister Maithripala Srisena.
Meanwhile, it is learnt that the leader of the 23-member group who had negotiated with the JOF for Srisena to be appointed its Presidential candidate, had for several reasons decided to remain in the government.
However, the sources said that the Minister concerned was disgusted with the manner in which his ministerial powers had been clipped and was not expected to throw his weight behind President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s re-election bid.
(Source: The Island)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Permission not given to Chinese ship to dock, India’s concerns important: Sabry September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka squad named for ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 September 26, 2023
- S&P raises Sri Lanka local currency ratings to ‘CCC+/C’, says outlook stable September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023