Foreign currency worth over Rs 6.4 million concealed in computer parts
A Sri Lankan passenger has been apprehended at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) in Katunayake while attempting to smuggle out foreign currency notes valued at over Rs 6.4 million.
The 52-year-old from Nugegoda was preparing to leave for Singapore at 1.25pm yesterday (22) when he was apprehended by Customs officers at the departure lounge.
Customs officers discovered currency notes including 35,015 US Dollars, 319 Singapore Dollars, 1,100 Euros and 25,000 Sri Lankan Rupees concealed inside a Hard Disk Drive casing.
The foreign currency is valued at Rs 6,413,273 in total.
(Source: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan youths get jobs in Japan under the Special Skilled Worker (SSW) visa category December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka Secures Rs. 20 Billion from Asian Development Bank for Rural Road Renovations December 1, 2023
- Results of 2022 (2023) G.C.E. O/L exam released December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from November 30, 2023 November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka inflation rises for second month on high energy costs November 30, 2023