Foreign currency worth over Rs 6.4 million concealed in computer parts
Posted in Local News
A Sri Lankan passenger has been apprehended at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) in Katunayake while attempting to smuggle out foreign currency notes valued at over Rs 6.4 million.
The 52-year-old from Nugegoda was preparing to leave for Singapore at 1.25pm yesterday (22) when he was apprehended by Customs officers at the departure lounge.
Customs officers discovered currency notes including 35,015 US Dollars, 319 Singapore Dollars, 1,100 Euros and 25,000 Sri Lankan Rupees concealed inside a Hard Disk Drive casing.
The foreign currency is valued at Rs 6,413,273 in total.
(Source: Ada Derana)
- Sri Lanka Government to go ahead with privatising SLT despite ‘NO’ from S.O.C. on National Security June 10, 2023
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023