Sri Lanka is the best travel destination for 2019 – “Lonely Planet”
Sri Lanka claimed the top spot in its list of countries to visit in 2019, with Germany and Zimbabwe just behind, while Italy’s Piedmont, the Catskills in the USA, and northern Peru topped the list of must-see regions.
Egypt’s Southern Nile Valley, Lodz in Poland and the USA’s Great Smoky Mountains were named as the three best-value destinations for 2019.
Sri Lanka came top in the list of best countries to visit primarily because travel has become much easier there since the civil war ended in 2009.
“It’s changed so much, so quickly, and in a lot of ways that makes travel much easier,” said Matt Philips, destination editor at Lonely Planet. “During the civil war there were large tracts in the north that were completely off limits, but now there are new road and rail links, and new internal flights.”
He also said travel products had hugely evolved in Sri Lanka, and now include diverse opportunities beyond mere beach holidays, from eco-tourism and yoga retreats to visiting national parks to see elephants and leopards.
Lonely Planet’s best travel destinations for 2019
Top 10 Countries
- Sri Lanka
- São Tomé and Príncipe
Top 10 Cities
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- Shenzhen, China
- Novi Sad, Serbia
- Miami, Florida, USA
- Kathmandu, Nepal
- Mexico City, Mexico
- Dakar, Senegal
- Seattle, USA
- Zadar, Croatia
- Meknès, Morocco
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023