Former Army Commander Lionel Balagalle passes away
Former Commander of Sri Lanka Army and Chief of Defence Staff General (Rtd) Lionel Balagalle, has passed away at the age of 75 while being treated at the Colombo Army Hospital Narahenpita for a brief illness.
He took office as the 16th Army Commander of Sri Lanka during 2000 – 2004. He also served as the Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS).
Balagalle was appointed to the exalted military rank of the Chief of Defence Staff as the Head for Tri-Forces in October 2003. It was the first time a serving commander was made a Chief for Armed Forces in Sri Lanka.
He enlisted in the Army as an Officer Cadet in 1965 and was commissioned in 1967 as a second Lieutenant and posted to the 4th Regiment, Sri Lanka Artillery.
His remains are lying at No. 21/12 Samanala Road, Kotelawala, Kaduwela. Funeral arrangements are to be notified later.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka to receive about $600 million ADB funding post-IMF approval – official December 6, 2023