Former SL Navy commander appointed presidential advisor on maritime affairs
Former Navy Commander Admiral Somathilake Dissanayake was appointed as the Presidential Adviser on Maritime Affairs by President Mahinda Rajapaksa with effect from 08 October. He retired as the Sri Lanka Navy commander recently.
Admiral Dissanayake took over as the 17th commander of the SL Navy in January 2011. Admiral Dissanayake is regarded as the most decorated naval officer and is the recipient of Weerodara Vibhushanaya for his bravery and decorated for gallantry with two Rana Sura medals.
He has also been awarded the Vishista Seva Vibhushanaya, the Uttama Seva Padakkama and eleven commemorative, campaign and service medals.
Apart from his Navy career he is also a lyricist with a book ‘Sidupathi Kavu Gee’, a compilation of poems and songs written by him.
Photo caption: Admiral Somathilake Dissanayake (R) with President Mahinda Rajapaksa (Pic. Courtesy defence.lk)
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023