Former SL Navy commander appointed presidential advisor on maritime affairs
Former Navy Commander Admiral Somathilake Dissanayake was appointed as the Presidential Adviser on Maritime Affairs by President Mahinda Rajapaksa with effect from 08 October. He retired as the Sri Lanka Navy commander recently.
Admiral Dissanayake took over as the 17th commander of the SL Navy in January 2011. Admiral Dissanayake is regarded as the most decorated naval officer and is the recipient of Weerodara Vibhushanaya for his bravery and decorated for gallantry with two Rana Sura medals.
He has also been awarded the Vishista Seva Vibhushanaya, the Uttama Seva Padakkama and eleven commemorative, campaign and service medals.
Apart from his Navy career he is also a lyricist with a book ‘Sidupathi Kavu Gee’, a compilation of poems and songs written by him.
Photo caption: Admiral Somathilake Dissanayake (R) with President Mahinda Rajapaksa (Pic. Courtesy defence.lk)
Courtesy: Ada Derana
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023