Former Sri Lanka cricketer Avishka Gunawardene appointed Afghanistan team’s batting coach
Former Sri Lanka cricketer and Sri Lanka A coach Avishka Gunawardene has been appointed batting coach of Afghanistan, the Afghanistan Cricket Board has announced. The Afghanistan Cricket Board confirmed the development on its official Twitter handle.
“Former @OfficialSLC batsman and coach, Avishka Gunawardene has been appointed as Afghanistan National Team’s batting coach,” the Afghanistan board tweeted.
In an international career spanning almost a decade, Gunawardene represented Sri Lanka in 6 Tests and 61 ODIs.
While he scored only 181 runs in Test cricket, Gunawardene made 1708 runs in the ODI format with a century.
The International Cricket Council in May said an independent tribunal cleared Gunawardene of two corruption charges, which allowed him to take part in cricket-related activities.
Afghanistan is next scheduled to play 3 ODIs against Pakistan in Sri Lanka next month.
Taliban fighters who took over Afghanistan on Monday had announced that cricket can continue as it was before.
Earlier, former Australian fast bowler Shaun Tait was appointed Afghanistan national team’s bowling coach.
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023