Fort Magistrate issues court order against protest today (February 26)
The Fort Magistrate today (February 26) issued an order preventing protest or demonstration in several areas in the Colombo Fort causing inconvenience to the public and motorists from 1:00 PM till 8:00 PM today.
Accordingly, the order was issued against 26 persons including Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (JVP) leader Anura Kumara Dissanayake from marching towards Galle Face, the Presidential Secretariat, the President’s House, the Finance Ministry premises etc. through several roads in Colombo, and inconveniencing pedestrians or vehicular traffic, or causing damage to public property etc.
This order comes in the backdrop of the announcement of a protest march due to be staged by the National People’s Power (NPP) today.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023