NPP protest march tear-gassed
Police fired tear gas and used water cannons to disperse protesters at Ibbanwala Junction near Town Hall in Colombo during the demonstration organised by the National People’s Power (NPP).
The NPP protest was staged against the government demanding the holding of elections without delay.
The NPP protest march reached the Town Hall, Colombo despite the Court Order.
Police has blocked the movement of the protest march at Town Hall and the police read out the court order to the protesters.
JVP leaders including its leader Anura Kumara Dissanayake participated in the protest.
UPDATE – 06:34 PM: Nearly 28 people who sustained minor injuries during the protest march in Colombo were admitted to the Colombo National Hospital, Hospital sources said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023