Free Wi-Fi from today at 26 public locations in Sri Lanka
Sri Lankan citizens will have free Wifi internet access at selected 26 public locations isalnd-wide from today , the Prime Minister’s office announced.
The inauguration of the programme will take place today at the Colombo Fort Railway Station with the participation of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and Foreign Affairs Minister Mangala Samaraweera.
Kandy, Colombo Fort, Polonnaruwa, Matara, Jaffna, Galle, Peradeniya, Katunayake, Ratnapura, Dehiwala, are among the first cities to get the free service which was promised by the present government before the presidential elections.
The Information Communication and Technology Agency said the free service would be expanded to 1000 public locations in the country by the end of August.
Today’s inauguration will be simultaneously telecast on giant LED screens at the Jaffna, Polonnaruwa and Matara Railway Stations and bus stands.
The 26 public locations that will have free WiFi access are: Fort Railway Station, Pettah Public and Private Bus Stands, the Temple of the Tooth Kandy, Floating Market in Pettah, Colombo Law College, Colombo Public Library, Dehiwala Zoo, Colombo Racecourse, Colombo Police Head Quarters, Galle Railway Station, Jaffna Railway Station, Fort Dutch Hospital, Galle Face Colombo, Battaramulla Foreign Employment Bureau, Colombo Museum, Karapitiya Hospital, Ratnapura Museum, Polonnaruwa Base Hospital, Matara Bus Stand, Polonnaruwa Railway Station, Matara Railway Station, Mirijjawila Botanical Garden, Jaffna Public Library, Kandy Railway Station and Peradeniya Railway Station.
(Government News Portal)
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023