Galle gives emotional farewell to Sangakkara
The Sri Lankan supporters and players present at the Galle International stadium gave a fitting farewell to Kumar Sangakkara playing his penultimate Test match at the very venue he made his debut 15 years ago.
It could not have been a better last match in Galle for their favourite son as the home team scripted one of their finest turnarounds with a 63-run win.
While it was a quiet Test match by Sangakkara’s standards as he scored 5 and 40 in the two innings but one could find him delirious with joy as Tharindu Kaushal dismissed Amit Mishra to complete a famous Test win.
Once the match was over, Sangakkara ran towards his teammates and first hugged the two prime performers Dinesh Chandimal and Rangana Herath. Skipper Angelo Mathews also came and gave him a warm hug.
Normally not a very expressive character, Sangakkara was not exactly keen on people carrying him on their shoulders but fast bowlers Dhamika Prasad and the others forcefully lifted him on their shoulders, taking him around the ground for a lap of honour amid a standing ovation.
The VIP box had the Sangakkara family — all in attendance. Wife Yehali and the two kids — a son and a daughter watched as the Lankan legend walked out of his favourite ground one last time.
(The Hindu / Pix by AFP)
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023