Government defending Navy action: Gota
Former defence secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa commenting on the yesterday’s incident which took place at the protest held at the Hambantota harbour said the government was defending the Navy’s unlawful action.
A tense situation prevailed at the Hambantota Port when the navy tried to release the two ships seized by workers staging a protest at the port. Navy personnel fired warning shots to disperse the protesters. The Navy Commander is also alleged to have threatened a journalist who was present at the scene.
In a tweet, Mr. Rajapaksa said “The same government that persecutes our military for winning the war is now defending the Navy’s unlawful and embarrassing recent action.”
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023